“Party for the Planet”
Earth Day Celebration
Presented by SRP
Saturday, April 14
9 a.m. – 4 p.m.
All activities are included with general Zoo admission.
American Textile Recycling Service is paying the Phoenix Zoo for each pound of recycled material received. To help, simply bring your used clothing, bedding, shoes, etc. Money raised will go towards the Zoo’s effort to protect endangered species!
Items accepted by American Textile Recycling Service:
- All clothing and clothing accessories, including purses, belts, shoes, hats and jackets.
- Towels, bed-sheets, and pillow cases (no pillows)
RECYCLED FASHION SHOW (Lakeside)
A fashion show featuring outfits from old clothes and garments!
- Clothing will be reused and made from recyclable material
- Performances featuring rain, earth, fire and air
- Click here to see the flyer!
BAG MAKING STATION FEATURING BAG MONSTER (Savanna Park)
- Re-use t-shirts and take a photo with the infamous Bag Monster!
AZ COMMUNITY TREE COUNCIL
- Tree Identification Game: a fun, hands-on activity to teach about different tree types and the need for water
- Edible Tree Matching Game: Match the trees to the edible products they produce. There will be samples of fruits, seeds and pods on display!
- “Ask an Arborist” station: Ask an arborist questions about the planting of trees!
- Displays for kids and families to smell pods and flowers
- Matching Game: Match the leaves with the trees!
THE GREEN TRAIL CHALLENGE
Coordinated by the Phoenix Zoo’s Green Team, prizes will be available for those who can answer our eco-friendly quiz!
And don’t forget to sign our “Pledge to Protect” Earth Day ball!
- Join us on the “tractor lawn” and take a photo hugging a tree!
ZERO WASTE SPECIALIST
- Game where kids are tasked with sorting different material into landfill, recycling and compost bins. They have only one minute to sort everything!
RECYCLED LID BUG ACTIVITY
- Use lids to make bugs out of pipe cleaners, googley eyes and markers!
COMPLIMENTARY FACE PAINTING
- Vegan paint that is non-toxic and washable for kids and adults!
WRIGHT IN THE GARDEN
- Kids will create mini pot plants out of newspaper in Savanna Park along with food for bees and butterflies.
SIDEWALK CHALK ARTIST
- Our chalk artist will be using our concrete floor instead of paper to draw!
- Put the waste in the garbage or recycling bin… but hurry!
CITIZEN’S CLIMATE LOBBY
- Put on your “Climate Challenger” capes and helmets made from recycled material to pose for pictures.
FARM ANIMAL ACTIVITIES
- Egg facts: demonstrations on the different size of eggs, how we can use less products for packaging, etc.
- Sheep shearing: Farm Teens will carefully shear our sheep, and AZ Weaver and Spinners will weave and spin!
Party Planet Outpost presented by ASU School of Life Sciences!
At this interactive exhibit, you’ll learn how some of the smallest things in nature get together to have a good time. Meet and talk with real life scientists from Arizona State University who study the amazing ways the planet likes to party every day.
- Horticulture booth: Worm composting activities will show kids how worms eat compost and turn it into biodegradable material!
- Bird feed making station: making station:Joy will be creating a bird feeding station made of organic ingredientsWill educate on how birds contribute to the Earth
- Sustainable seafood/ocean conservation
- Horticulture Talks – bee pollination, planting to attract beneficial insects, etc. times tbd
- Animal Discoveries20 minute AD- 9am, 10am, 11am, 12pm, 1pm, 2pm, 3pm.
Thank you to our Earth Day sponsors
Here at the Phoenix Zoo, we celebrate Earth Day all year long thanks to our Green Team, a group of employees and volunteers dedicated to ensuring that the Zoo is as eco-friendly as possible while conserving resources.