The Zoo is not just for kids, adults can join in the fun too. From our famous Horse Hands programs, to custom Night Camps, the Zoo has something for you. Looking for something unique and fun for your next business event or social outing? Spend the night at the Zoo with a custom Night Camp program or have us come to you with our ZooToYou Outreach programs.
Which field guide is best? Which binoculars should I use? Come learn the basics of bird identification with our resident expert. You’ll learn what birds you’re likely to see, and what to look for if you see something different! Practical tips and tricks in the classroom, and then head into the field for some practice!
Presented by the Arthur L. and Elaine V. Johnson Foundation, these evening events showcase engaging speakers from around the world sharing stories about projects benefiting wildlife, habitats, and people. Many of these projects have been funded through the Zoo’s Conservation & Science Grants program, while others highlight important native species recovery efforts in our region. Our speaker series events are free to the public. Everyone is welcome, but content may be most appropriate for ages 10+.
Have you ever wondered what a day in the life of a zookeeper might be like? Do you want to experience a behind-the-scenes tour led by a person who knows the animals best? In this adults-only program, we provide an exclusive opportunity to learn from the animal experts—our zookeepers! Enjoy a pizza lunch while you ask questions that only a keeper can answer and listen to stories that only a keeper can tell. After lunch, be treated to an exclusive glimpse into the day-to-day experiences of our keeper staff through an animal experiences or behind-the-scenes tour.
This unique experience is one of the best at the Zoo; you’ll truly understand the passion and dedication involved with being a zookeeper. For adults ages 18+.
Program time: 12 – 1:45 p.m.
Member Adult Ticket $49 Adult Pair $80
General Adult Ticket $65 Adult Pair $105
- October 20 – African Carnivore
- November 17 – Elephant
- December 14 – Giraffe
- January 12 – Orangutan
- February 29 – Conservation
- March 22 – Venomous Reptiles (NEW!)
- April 25 – Tortoise
- May 17 – Animal Care Center
Dates: Varies. (see below)
Price: $18 member/$18 general + admission to the Zoo (separate ticket or use membership)
Minimum program guests: 1
Maximum program guests: Maximum program participants: 6
Tips, tricks, and technique guidance abound in this casual walkabout program led by one of the Zoo’s expert volunteer photographers. This program is entirely focused on practicing skills, getting instant feedback, and having fun while capturing great images at the Zoo. While some dates may have a specific focus, participant interest shapes each class making this a dynamic and social experience for all. Whether your camera is professional quality or a phone camera, there is a walkabout program for you!
Photo Walkabout Instructor:
These walkabout programs are led by Phoenix Zoo Volunteers, who are accomplished photographers with many years of experience and a unique level of expertise in a Zoo setting. You can frequently see their photographs featured on the Zoo’s social media pages and website.
Dave Seibert took some of his first photographs as a child at the Phoenix Zoo in 1965! He has been working in professional photojournalism for more than 40 years and is currently freelancing in photography and video storytelling with a variety of valley companies.
Dave uses Canon equipment. Though he has worked with the Phoenix Zoo both professionally and personally for many years and is a talented photographer of animals, he most enjoys capturing the emotion of those at the Zoo that walk on two legs – the people! Dave hopes to help photographers in the Photo Walkabouts he leads to learn how to see light, frame with composition techniques and wait for the right moment to take a photo.
- Jan 22 and 25 | 9:30 – 11 a.m.
- Feb 1, 5, 15 and 22 | 9:30 – 11 a.m.
- March 7 and 21 | 9:30 – 11 a.m.
- April 4, 15 and 25 | 9:30 – 11 a.m.
- May 9 | 9:30 – 11 a.m.
More info/How to be prepared:
- Walkabout programs are open to photographers with any type of camera or skill level, unless specifically noted otherwise.
- These programs have a casual, conversational feel and participants are encouraged to help guide the direction of the walkabout by expressing their interests and asking questions of the instructor.
- Being familiar with your camera (how to access settings, etc.) prior to the program is always appreciated. The walkabout programs focus on practice with (and feedback from) an expert photographer; this is not a lecture class.
- Bring your camera manual to the walkabout. Each camera brand and model can be slightly different. Our instructors are extremely talented photographers, but we’d never expect them to be fully versed in operating every single camera on the market. Your camera manual can be a useful tool for you and for the instructor.
- Consider signing up for multiple photo walkabouts. Our photographers each have different styles of instruction, personal interests and experiences which contribute to the walkabouts they lead. Additionally, engaging with fellow participants to learn from and share with each other makes each of these programs unique and dynamic.
- The Photo Walkabout program fee does NOT include admission to the Zoo. Non-members must purchase a Phoenix Zoo admission ticket along with the program.