What is Camp Zoo?
Children will have fascinating adventures with the natural world this summer at Camp Zoo. Each week-long session is filled with up-close animal encounters, behind-the-scenes experiences, hands-on activities, games, in-depth investigations and organized free time. We’ll be spending as much time outdoors as we can, with indoor activities mixed in for cooling breaks.
All camp lessons and activities are age-appropriate and designed for multiple learning styles. Campers engage in projects independently and within groups, which encourages individual expression and helps promote collaborative skills. Content is delivered with an awareness of campers’ development and is flexible to meet the needs of each particular group.
Camp Zoo instructors have respect and understanding for children and a deep passion for the natural world. They are well trained in interpretive techniques, group management and activity facilitation.
Camp Zoo is for children who are entering first grade through eighth grade in fall 2021. There will be no Kindergarten session this year. Choose from eight weeks of half-day (8 a.m. – Noon) sessions. Due to limitations brought about by COVID-19, we will not be offering full day camp or extended day camp this year.
All camp participants receive a shirt, hat and water bottle with lanyard. Campers must wear their Camp Zoo shirts every day. Additional shirts are available for purchase on the first day of camp.
We will have fee waivers available for campers that qualify for free or reduced lunch programs at school. Applications for this support will open at the same time as camp registration.
Camp Zoo 2021 Daily Schedule
- Camp Zoo Check-in: 7:45 – 8 a.m. each day
- Check-out: Noon – 12:15 p.m.
Camp Zoo 2021 Sessions
Each week will feature the same curriculum for each grade band; 1st/2nd, 3rd/4th, 5th/6th and 7th/8th.
- Session 1: June 7 – 11 (SOLD OUT)
- Session 2: June 14 – 18 (SOLD OUT)
- Session 3: June 21 – 25 (1 spot grades 7/8 only)
- Session 4: June 28 – July 2 (SOLD OUT)
- Session 5: July 5 – July 9 (SOLD OUT)
- Session 6: July 12 – 16 (SOLD OUT)
- Session 7: July 19 – 23 ( SOLD OUT)
- Session 8: July 26 – 30 (SOLD OUT)
Camp Zoo 2021 Fees
- Member $159 | General $174
Camp Zoo 2021 COVID-19 Precautions
We’re implementing the following to help keeper our campers, staff and families safe while we have fun and learn together this summer.
- Each age group will be limited to ten campers, with no mixing between groups.
- Camp activities will be outdoors as much as possible.
- We will minimize shared materials to only those that can be disinfected between each use.
- All campers and camp staff will be required to wear a mask at all times. We’ll take mask breaks for snack time and water breaks.
- Campers will be socially distanced during snack and water breaks, anytime indoors and as much as possible while outside.
- Snacks provided by the Zoo will be individually pre-packaged and staff will wear gloves while distributing the snacks to campers.
- Hand sanitizer and hand washing will be emphasized throughout the day.
- Camp classrooms and bathrooms will be disinfected at the end of each camp day.
- Posters will be in each classroom reminding campers to wash their hands properly, maintain social distance and follow sneeze/cough etiquette.
Camp Zoo Themes
Animals come in every size, shape and color… tiny like a beetle or huge like an elephant, skinny like a snake or round like a hedgehog, white like a pelican or red like a parrot. Campers will categorize animal opposites and then compare and contrast to explore what makes animals in the wild and at the Phoenix Zoo unique. Of course, this Camp Zoo session also involves fun games, art and learning activities, stories, behind-the-scenes adventures and special up-close animal encounters that can only be experienced at the Zoo.
Faster! Higher! Stronger! Animal athletes can give a totally new meaning to all of these words. What animal can out-accelerate a race car? Which bird can fly as high as an airplane? Is there an animal strong enough to knock down a tree to get its food? The answers to these questions, along with up-close encounters with our amazing animal athletes, will have campers smiling in world-record time! Of course, this Camp Zoo session also involves fun games, art and learning activities, stories, behind-the-scenes adventures, and special up-close animal encounters that can only be experienced at the Phoenix Zoo.
What if you could journey around the world on the ultimate safari? In just one week, campers will make this amazing journey without ever having to leave the Phoenix Zoo! Campers will learn about animals, habitats, people and cultures from different regions of the globe. Of course, this Camp Zoo session also involves fun games, art and learning activities, stories, behind-the-scenes adventures and special up-close animal encounters that can only be experienced at the Zoo.
What does it take to be a real field scientist? How do you study animals in their natural habitat? Using real scientific tools to track, observe and study animal habitats and behavior, campers will conduct research and collect and analyze data during the week of camp. To conclude the week, campers will report on their findings. Of course, this Camp Zoo session also involves fun games, art and learning activities, stories, behind-the-scenes adventures and special up-close animal encounters that can only be experienced at the Phoenix Zoo.