Experience a unique, project-based virtual program that brings the Phoenix Zoo to you! Perfect for distance learning and teacher facilitation in the classroom, or a combination of both. Project Orangutan is fun, fascinating and promotes hands-on, authentic problem-solving. Curriculum includes lessons for 60 minutes per week for 9 weeks
Focusing on the critically endangered Bornean orangutan, students will:
- Discover how the Zoo cares for their complex needs
- Use the engineering design process to build an enrichment item that stimulates their natural behavior
- Research orangutan conservation and how responsible consumer choices can make an impact on their future
What is included in the program?
- In-depth Teacher Guide with:
- Arizona State Standards Alignment (Science, ELA, Math, Educational Technology)
- Comprehensive materials list and assessment rubrics
- Detailed content outlines and lesson plans
- Student Guide that outlines the overall project timeline, key vocabulary and assessment criteria
- Pre-post assessment and formative assessments
- Student Research Notebook .PDF
- Support materials for each lesson including pre-recorded videos, recommended research sources and activity worksheets
- A live, virtual 30-minute check-in with a Phoenix Zoo educator to provide project feedback to the students and answer question**
- Add a second 30-minute live, virtual check-in with a Zoo educator
- Add a virtual, live encounter with ambassador animals to your session
Add-on Program Fee: $50 per add-on (in addition to the $175 program fee)
Time slots available for the session with the virtual animal encounter add-on:
- Monday – Friday
- 1 p.m. or 2 p.m.
Meets Arizona Academic Standards and Next Generation Science Standards
40 attendees per classroom
Zoom and Google Meets
Live Virtual Session Date and Time:
Monday – Friday
Time Slots: 8:30 a.m., 9:30 a.m., 10:30 a.m. or 11:30 a.m.
$175 per classroom
To register or learn more, call 602.914.4333. Once registered, you’ll receive a confirmation email with additional details.